Thursday 25 October 2018

I moved to AMD Platform part 3

Besides other preparations I downloaded the latest driver for my graphic card (ASUS Strix). By Chance it had been released a few days before my download.

Having everything prepared, I connected power and fans to the motherboard. I connect all SATAs before installing graphic card. It is possible to connect them after but it is a bit difficult with the big graphic cards on your way. I disconnected SATAs from all SATA devices.

Also I disconnected Power from PSU to SATA's. I do not like to have power on the devices when they are not connected. I have this habit from the ancient time when we would not turn on HiFi devices when no speakers were connected to the audio outputs. It could be an obsession but sometimes gut feeling cautiousness is what one needs to follow rather than promises of other engineers.

There is a new mistake regarding recent on board graphics output on AMD boards. One can use them when he has installed the right, graphic supporting AMD CPU's are installed. As far as I know none has come to the market yet. Some people on the idea that there is such a facility available do not attach any graphics card and voila: three beeps from the BIOS as the sign of "no graphic cards!"

Even with those processors the video does not enjoy what you might love to have. Perhaps they are good for the organisations computers and workstations. They use a share part of your RAM's for graphic processing - some 2GB. Right now I have not any judgement about those builds and how far they are useful for Video editing or watching HD, 4K etc. For gaming definitely they do not satisfy those gamers who use two cards each with 11 GB DDR5.

Then I connected graphic card, keyboard, and mouse, and broadband. I turned on the computer and entered BIOS by pressing "Delete" key. In BIOS I checked that CPU, memories, and above all the WD M2 SSD and mouse and broadband were fully recognised.

In BIOS upgrade menu you can see the option to upgrade it through the internet but I prefer to use the memory stick for that job.

I turned off the computer and connected the flash memory stick that contained the BIOS upgrade to its latest version. I turned it on again and followed the procedure for upgrade. Happily, BIOS had recognised the existence of the memory stick with upgrade and did it smoothly through it.

I turned off the computer again removed the BIOS update memory stick and attached the Windows 10 memory stick and turned the computer again. I entered the BIOS and asked it to boot through the memory stick.

Windows 10 installation software on the flash memory without any error recognised the WD Green M2 and completely installed Windows 10.

This is the latest version of Windows 10 with all updates and everything. I can be sure that it dos not need any driver or software accompanied on the DVD of your motherboard. This is the new policy of Microsoft. No future version of Windows is promised. Windows 10 is the last version of Windows and Microsoft will only updates it constantly and all previous versions will become obsolete similar to DOS and Windows 3 and so on.

Most people know how to follow from this point on. You can skip the activation key and password setting etc. But a new idea as the PIN has been introduced in expectation of uniformity with portable devices such as Surface, mobile phones, BYODs and such. You have to do that. Do not disturb smooth installation by trying to avoid this. Later after logging to your Windows and checking everything you can remove it if you like.

After I opened my Windows for the first time, I ejected the memory stick and removed it from the USB. Immediately I connected the graphics card USB and installed "just drivers". I do not like that at this stage, to install software that later constantly ask me things or producing hurdles that I should search forums for their answers and solutions.

I went to the activation in control panel and activated my Windows through the key that I had acquired from Microsoft.

I restarted my Windows. I did a thorough clean up. and disk optimisation and again restart (after clean up some temp files will only be deleted through the restart at the reboot stage.

Then I followed the procedure to create an image backup of the entire activated  but yet untouched Windows. This job needs a 32GB memory stick which is now under £8.





No comments:

Post a Comment